Some challenges include:
- there are SO many standards
- time is always a factor---there's never enough!
- teachers are clear on what standards to teach, but questions arise on how to teach them most effectively
The successes they shared:
- the excitement about more non-fiction (by the kids and the teachers!)
- students understand WHY they are learning what they are learning
- students are talking about their learning
- teachers are able to use the language of the standards and the kids get it!
- more and more flexible grouping is happening in our elementary schools
- students' are able to see where they are truly succeeding and struggling, and it's very motivating to them
- more and more teachers are wanting to adopt workshop models for reading and writing
- students are able to have (and are loving) more choice
The next meeting of the ELA Vertical Team is January 23, 2014.